Saturday, June 21, 2014

"While You Were Looking at the Bride...

...I was looking at the groom."

My friends Connie and Nick were married yesterday. They've been together for 2 years, and while it wasn't an easy road, it was most assuredly worth it.

When Connie asked me to be a bridesmaid for her wedding I was thrilled. I've been asked to take part in a wedding party twice before, but both of those weddings didn't work out, so this was my very first time actually being part of one.

The ballroom where the wedding and reception were held was quite the venue. The outer walls were just windows, allowing the guests to look out at the tall buildings that were surrounding us. It also provided some great natural light for the majority of the party.

As a bridesmaid I was tasked with helping to decorate the trellis Nick and Connie would stand in front of as they were legally bound as husband and wife. It was a challenge--"perks" of being a short girl--but in the end it turned out quite beautiful.

The walk down the aisle was interesting. The groomsman I was paired with, one of Connie's younger brothers, was a little uncertain about how his feet were supposed to go. It was adorable.

Once we were all at the altar and ready for the bride, the officiator asked those in attendance to rise.

Connie looked like a young Audrey Hepburn, no joke. Her dress, completely made of silk, came just off her shoulders and was accented by a beautiful red sash. Her curled hair was beautifully pull up into a side bun by her sister, and her makeup had been professionally done just an hour before.

She was stunning. But while I love Connie, and it was wonderful to see her in all her glory on her wedding day, I quickly turned my attention to Nick.

In the movie 27 Dresses, James Marsden's character talks about how he likes to watch the groom, rather than the bride. He liked to see the look on the groom's face as his bride, the love of his life, came down the aisle towards him.

Until I had been to a few wedding ceremonies myself, I had never thought about it. We all like to focus on the bride because she's the one who makes the "grand entrance". But, the groom's face is priceless, and just as worthwhile.

The look on Nick's face as Connie walked towards him was pure gold. And I'm meaning that in the most true and honest way. I knew he loved her, but I didn't realize just how much until I saw it in his eyes yesterday. I'm crying a little right now just thinking about it.

Something you need to know about Connie: she doesn't cry. Sure, she gets sad, and she has her moments of pure joy, but she doesn't cry. In the 4 1/2 years I have known Connie, I have only ever seen her come close to tears once. Maybe one or two drops managed to escape,but it was never too big or noticeable.

Until yesterday, when she proclaimed publicly her love and devotion to Nick. As she came closer to the altar I looked over at her and saw the tears in her own eyes.This of course caused tears to fill up my own eyes, though I was determined not to let them get the better of me. However, just before Connie's dad shook Nick's hand and gave him his daughter I saw the tears filling Nick's eyes as well. That's when I knew I was doomed to be a crying mess.

The officiator proceeded with the ceremony, sharing Connie and Nick's love story with all in attendance. Then the couple shared their vows. I can't remember all of the words, but I remember how sincere and honest they were. The promises they made and the commitments to each other and to the future children they would have were genuine and meaningful.

Months ago, when we were window shopping for bridesmaid dresses, Connie told me, Kayla, and Sanna (one of the other bridesmaids) their proposal story. When she was finished telling it, she looked at us and said, "I love him."

"We know," we assured her.

"No, I really love him."

"Connie, we know," I said. Not in an annoyed way, but in the sincere way that you would tell someone you knew something was the absolute truth. It was evident to me in Connie's face, and in everything she does, that she loves Nick.

When Connie began her vows she only managed to get a few words out before crying. That was it, I was gone. The tears I'd been trying to ignore, to push back, began flowing freely down my cheeks, my mascara running down with them. It was as if a rushing wind of knowledge and realization swept over me. I knew back when she'd told the proposal story that she loved Nick. Yesterday that knowledge was cemented into my mind.

The rest of the day was great. Pictures with the bride and groom were nice and fun--we did the whole groomsmen hold up the bride and bridesmaids hold up the groom photos--and the reception was awesome. It was a dance party, just like Nick and Connie wanted. And everyone enjoyed themselves. Or at least, I did, and I hope everyone else did, too.

Reflecting on yesterday's events, I admit that I am a little saddened that I have not had the pleasure of finding my special someone. Kayla and I figured out yesterday that by the end of this month six of the roommates we have lived with over the course of our college experience will be married. And then there's my additional 5 roommates from before Kayla and I lived together, racking up to a grand total of 11 out of 22 of the girls I have lived with. Half of my college roommates are married. That's a little..depressing, to say the least.

But watching Nick and Connie yesterday, seeing their love for each other, I am grateful. Grateful that they have each other and that they do truly love one another. Grateful that while it's true I am single, and sometimes it kind of sucks, at least I know I did not settle for less than the kind of love I deserve.

Congratulations to Connie and Nick. May your future be bright, full of many fond memories, and may your love continue to grow. I love you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment