Thursday, May 17, 2012

Long Drives and Coming Home

This is the first of three posts that I'll be writing about my Cali trip last week.

When I was younger my family took a vacation up to Yellowstone National Park. I don't remember much about the drive but judging by where we lived and where Yellowstone is I would imagine it was a long one. In high school my family (at least those still living at home) took another trip only this time to Vegas. That drive I remember, probably because it is more recent.

But, I have to say, this one takes the cake for being the absolute longest drive of my life.

I was up at 4:00am Monday morning and we were on the road by 4:30. We reached the hotel by about 3:30 that afternoon, nearly a full twelve hours later.

While it was a long drive, and I did sleep for a good portion of it, it was interesting to watch my surroundings change. Seeing the Utah landscape fade into Nevada, Arizona, back to Nevada and then finally to California was really neat. They all have different attributes about themselves that make them unique from Utah.

Our snacks of choice for the drive were Gummy Bears (we ate a few chips and nuts too, but GB's were our main source of energy). Kayla and I got so bored we even did Frankenstein-Surgeries, rearranging the heads and bodies of various GB's. We even stuck a few of them together and Kayla tried skewering a few with a straw (she was less than successful). 

The drive back seemed longer than the first one, probably because we did leave later and therefore it was dark by the time we got back.

I have to admit, that while I enjoyed my time in California, coming into Utah and seeing the mountains and the landscape felt so good.  It felt wonderful coming home.

I missed my Utah.

No comments:

Post a Comment