Saturday, January 5, 2013

Joy in the Journey

I have had a lot on my mind lately, and I have been telling myself I really need to write a blog post, but for one reason or another I kept putting it off, finding other things to do or just simply running out of time in the day. 

I have thought a great deal about how I handle my situation in life. I often find myself regretting that I am not where I want to be, like married with kids or teaching drama. It can get discouraging, especially when you see people around you who are enjoying the things you want so desperately. 

Recently, I read a blog post from the old CEO of the company I work at. Amy, the author of the blog, has an incredible ability to be positive, productive, and whenever I read her posts I feel so much better (when the time comes for me to leave my current job, I fully intend to continue reading her posts). 

Anyways, back to the post, she talked about how rather than wishing we were where we want to be, we should take time to enjoy the journey, enjoy the steps we are taking to get to that place. 

It was a perfect post for me to read, particularly since I have been spending the past few months wishing I was where I want to be, that the waiting was over. Her post was a wonderful reminder that I should enjoy my journey towards that goal. 

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, gave a talk in the Saturday morning session of General Conference October 2012. In the talk he referenced an experience with his wife, in which they were out riding their bicycles, and President Uchtdorf mentioned that there were times when they would be passed up by other bikers, and he would tell his wife that they should be more competitive and push themselves a little more.

Sister Uchtdorf's response: "Dieter, it's not a race; it's a journey. Enjoy the moment."

He continued, saying, "Sometimes in life we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to find joy in the journey. . . Doesn't is seem foolish to spoil sweet and joyful experiences because we are constantly anticipating the moment when they will end?

"Do we listen to beautiful music waiting for the final note to fade before we allow ourselves to truly enjoy it? . . . Do we say our prayers with only the 'amen' or the end in mind? . . .

"We shouldn't wait to be happy until we reach some future point, only to discover that happiness was already available--all the time! Life is not meant to be appreciated only in retrospect." (Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Of Regrets and Resolutions" General Conference, Oct. 2012)

As a sophomore in high school I had the opportunity to take part in the Day of Celebration, an event organized to celebrate the birth of the Prophet Joseph Smith, Jr. and the organization of the Church. I was a member of the choir (which was HUGE by the way. We took up the entire north end zone of Rice-Eccles stadium at the University of Utah) and one of the songs we sang is titled "Joy in the Journey". I would like to share some of the lyrics with you.

There is joy in the journey
Joy in the climb
Twisting and turning
Reaching for the open sky
Carving out each footstep
In the struggling we find
There is hope, and there is Joy
In the Jorney

Have a fabulous day everyone, and remember to find joy in your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment