Sunday, July 31, 2011

On Being a Romantic

For quite some time now I have viewed myself as being a romantic. As a teenage girl I had what you could call unrealistic expectations for my love life. I was expecting to have the story perfect love life and I expected to have it as quickly as possible. As I grew older I learned that while romance is lovely and wonderful, life isn't always what we see in the movies or what we read in books. Shocking, I know. ;)

Now, don't get me wrong, being a romantic isn't a bad thing. It's not bad to want a good love life, to want that man that you'll be totally and completely in love with. It isn't bad to have faith in love and to hope that love will one day find you. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Where I went wrong in my romantic antics as I like to refer to them is that while there are plenty of incredible and amazing guys out there, not all of them are Mr. Darcy, Edward Cullen (I am speaking of his personality traits, not his being a vampire mind you), Leopold, Westley, etc. The man that will make you the happiest you'll ever be isn't People Magazine's "Sexiest Man Alive". He isn't famous or even model material.

He's the one that will love you for you, the one that will look at you in the morning, messy hair, no make up, wearing your pajamas and still smile because you are the most beautiful creature alive. He is the man whose kiss isn't seeking for a good time just this once, it isn't a battle for control. It's a kiss that is deep and meaningful, one that peels away the tough guy act and shows you he is vulnerable. It's a kiss that shows he is opening his heart to you, knowing that it could break but trusting that you would do anything to protect it.

A year ago I had a conversation with my older brother about finding that right one. I had had my heart broken and while it had been months before this conversation, it still stung pretty bad. My brother told me the story of how he met his wife. It wasn't some fancy love story that would make for an epic movie one day. It was as simple as her being there when he needed a friend. After telling me the story, he said, "Sometimes the one you're looking for is standing behind the one you are looking at."

So, ladies and yes even you gentleman out there, if you're still looking for someone--now I say someone, not THE one because I believe that there are many someones that a person can love and be happy with--keep that in mind. I'm not saying to forget the ones you are looking at, but don't forget about the ones standing behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment