Saturday, June 11, 2016

Movie Review: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows

This week is just full of reviews for all of you!

On Tuesday my friend Emma and I went to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.  When I first heard they were making a sequel to the 2014 remake of one of my favorite childhood films, I wasn't all too thrilled.  The 2014 film, while it wasn't terrible, didn't really stand out to me as spectacular.  The computer animated turtles kind of turned me off a little, and I felt like the story was more about April O'Neil than it was about the actual Turtles.  I did like that the turtles were seemed more like actual teenagers, and their origin story was kind of interesting, but honestly, I didn't think it could ever really compare to the original films.

So, why did I decide to see this sequel when I wasn't as thrilled about the first one?  Two words: Stephen Amell.  Yes, that's right, the only reason I got super stoked about this film was because I am a total fan girl for Stephen Amell.  And when I found out he was going to be Casey Jones, I knew I would have to see it.

Despite the fact that I only went to the movie for Stephen Amell, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the film actually was.  I felt like the Turtles all had 3 dimensional characters, as opposed to the seemingly flat ones from the first film.  Their personal growth and development throughout the film was intriguing and well written, and I feel like I was able to see more of who they all are as individuals.

April O'Neil was well played, and I didn't feel like her role overshadowed the Turtles as much as I felt in the first one.  I like that she was a solid, well established character that knew what she was doing and where she was going.

Casey Jones?  Oh my gosh!  I loved him!  Not just because it was Stephen Amell, though it may have influenced it a little bit.  I really enjoyed the story line for him and the way that Stephen played him was phenomenal.  The only thing more that I have to say is he was stinking adorkable.

Also, no real romance between Casey and April. THANK YOU!  I mean, yeah, I still think they could be together, but I liked that the movie wasn't about their "budding romance".

And can I just give a shout out to the villains in this film?  Commander Krane was fantastically animated and Rocksteady and Bebop were hilarious.  Shredder also made another appearance in this film, as well as a zany mad-scientist-esque character who I kind of felt like he was going to get turned into one of the animal-human crossbreed things.  Not sure what he would have been, but I think he should have been one of those.  Ha, ha, ha.

To anyone who felt disappointed by the 2014 remake of TMNT, I recommend finding whatever bit of TMNT fan is still in you and letting it propel you to the theater to see this movie.  It is 20 times better than the first, in my personal opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment